This is one of our all time favorite meals to make. We don’t make it a lot because steak is a little bit on the expensive side, but if you get it at Walmart it’s normally cheaper.
Dallas use to be a short order cook, so he has bomb burger and Philly making skills. Needless to say, we eat pretty good most of the time.
A few months ago, we were at the store getting all of the ingredients, and we told our friend at the check out that we were making Phillies. He said, “If you’re making Phillies where is the cream cheese?” We were a little bit confused for a second, and then it dawned on us, “Philadelphia Cream Cheese!”
We have never gone back to making them without it because it is just too good. These are easy to make, and they are so worth it.
Ingredients (for 2)
- 2 Buns
- Carne asada or carne picada steak
- Steak seasoning (We used McCormick Montreal Steak and Morton Season All)
- 1/2 Green pepper
- 1/4 Onion
- 4 Mushrooms
- Cream cheese
- Grated cheese (We used Colby Jack)
1. Chop green peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
2. Spread butter on the inside of buns, and place on a large pan at medium heat until golden brown. Once bun is done, spread cream cheese on one side.
3. In the same large pan on medium heat, add the steak and cook until most of the steak is brown (if steak is sticking to the pan, your heat is up to high).
4. Move the steak to one side of the pan, and add 1 tablespoon of butter to the empty side of the pan to cook the vegetables. Add all of the chopped vegetables, and add seasoning to the meat and vegetables. Let vegetables sit for about 30 seconds before stirring everything together (this is to brown one side of the vegetables).
5. Cook for another another 1-2 minutes until meat is completely cooked. Take heat down to medium low and put cheese on everything. Once cheese is melted, scoop it onto each bun.
If you have any questions, please let me know in the comments. Enjoy!