There was a group of local performers who were throwing a party for a guy who was leaving to go back to Brazil. I was a little panicked when we first got there, but it turned out to be really fun, complete with a guitar and harmonica version of the Beatles’ “Let it Be” and a Portuguese cover of David Bowie’s “Changes.” The atmosphere was loud and lively, and the pizza was great!
We ordered the “Karl Marx” pizza, which was topped with amazing marinated beef! So, of course, we had to try making it when we came home.
We couldn’t remember what type of sauce they used, but we tried marinara and BBQ sauce and they both tasted great- the BBQ sauce adds some sweetness. The marinated steak is what really makes it good, so pick whichever sauce you like better and go for it!
I will admit that I am a cheater when it comes to bread dough recipes, so to make this easier I just used frozen Rhodes Rolls… Some day I will get domestic and find and easy bread recipe. 🙂
- 1/2 lbs. Marinated carne picada or carne asada (We used this “Best Steak Marinade in Existence” recipe. They’re not kidding either. SO worth it.)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce or marinara sauce
- 1/4 Onion
- 1/2 Green pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups of cheese
- 10-12 thawed Rhodes Rolls
1. Make marinade. Combine marinade and steak and put in the refrigerator to sit. Follow directions to thaw Rhodes Rolls.
2. When rolls have thawed and risen, use a little flour and knead all the dough together. Flatten the dough as much as possible with your hands. Let dough rise for about 20 more minutes, and then roll out to desired thickness and size with a rolling pin. Place the dough on a cookie sheet or pizza pan.
3. Drain the marinade from the steak, and place in a small frying pan on medium heat. (If it starts to stick, your heat is too high.) Cook until the meat is brown.
4. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread sauce over the dough. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese on the pizza before any other ingredients. Add marinated steak, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
5. Place in pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes until crust is cooked through. Let cool and enjoy!!
We’ve made a few variations of this pizza, so if you have any questions, please ask!