This rocking corduroy skirt is the Nita Wrap skirt by Sew DIY, and it is available on Indiesew. My version of this turned out to be flirtier than I wanted, but I LOVE the style and I can say that I have figured out how to make it on my next go around.
The photo below (courtest of Pinterest) was my inspiration for this. I love scrolling through Pinterest or seeing clothes anywhere and automatically thinking about which pattern I could use to easily recreate it. When I saw this picture, I immediately though of the Nita Wrap, and I haven’t been able get it out of my mind since.
I even had the most perfect lilac corduroy! But sadly it didn’t wash very well. Thankfully I was able to find this navy corduroy at Fabrix in San Francisco for a steal ($3.99/yrd)! If you ever have a chance to visit SF, it’s definitely a store you should check out because most of the fabric is under $4/yrd!
Looking at my inspiration photo, I could have studied it a little bit better (or made a muslin…) and noticed that the right side of the skirt wasn’t angled at all. If you look at this skirt (note the price *gasp*), in the 4th picture you can see the back panel peaking out from the bottom and it’s basically just vertically straight down instead of being angled.
Beth, with Sew DIY, has a more conservative pattern piece that you can use, but by the time I realized that, I had already printed the main pattern, and my printer was out of ink… So I just made the skirt without any alterations, besides the ones for my height.
This is the midi version of the dress with 4 inches of length added. I also chose to do the button option, since I figured it would be the easiest (and matched my inspiration). The button didn’t actually turn out to be easiest because my sewing machine HATED going over the two layers of corduroy. After trying three times, and my sewing machine getting suck in the same spot every. time. Dallas gave it a try and ALSO couldn’t get it to work. (HA! I mean… see, I told you…) So he went and got his tools, and figured out how to adjust the feed dogs on my sewing machine to be higher.
After he adjusted that, it FINALLY worked! (Thank goodness for husbands!) Which is great because the stitching was starting to put a hole through my fabric. After stitching the button on, I added a snap on the other side to hold the opposite panel up. I also added three snaps in front because if I do anything but walk in this skirt the front opens up a little too much for my comfort (or others).
Besides my button/fabric struggles, the skirt came together really easily and I’m excited to make it again soon!
With my next Nita Wrap, I’m definitely going to make the back panel so that it’s not angled, and possibly make it go all the way to the side seam. I also think I’ll only lengthen the midi version by 2 inches instead of 4 so that hits below my knee. And just for fun, I think I’ll get a bigger button next time. 🙂 This one is 3/4 inch, but I want to try a 1 or 1 1/2 inch.
Before we left to take these photos, I had to change Braden on the floor and two of the snaps came undone. Thankfully I was just in my living room, but I will definitely be making another one with a back panel that covers me better.
Overall, I am a huge fan of the high waist and style of this skirt, although this version I will probably only get to wear on date nights (when I know what those are again). I’m really excited to make another that’s more mom friendly.
The Nita Wrap pattern was provided by Indiesew, but all thoughts and opinions are my own.