Unfolding Jacket

I never felt very motivated to sew jackets or coats while we were living in California (that’s when I really started to sew more, in general). But now that we live in the PNW, I have really felt the pull to make some jackets. I’ve learned that you pretty much need a jacket year round here, so I didn’t just make one — I made TWO. This is the first that I’ve finished, and I have another jacket I’ll be sharing soon (I’m waiting on ONE button!).

I have seen so many of these Unfolding Jackets over the years and was a little bit on the fence about making one, but I’m so glad that I did. The pattern was recently discontinued, but there are a few other patterns that are similar if you are looking. [Here are few – Pekka Jacket by Ready to Sew, Tasi Robe and Jacket by Sew DIY, Berlin Jacket by Tessuti Fabrics.]

I have loved all of the flannel ones that people have made, and when I saw this one by Kristi, I knew exactly how I wanted to make mine. I chose an India textured cotton cloth for the outside, and mini herringbone flannel for the inside (both from Style Maker Fabrics). This jacket is HEFTY – but in a good way!! The cotton cloth is a pretty weighty fabric. It has a beautiful texture, and it worked really well with the flannel. I’ve already worn it a few times to the park and on walks. I wore it on a windy day and flipped the collar up, and it worked well to block the wind. I also put the flannel to the inside of the pockets, and while it was hard to keep it from showing when I was sewing, they are the softest, warmest pockets!

This was the first time doing a lining, and it was much easier than I thought it would be. I was looking further down in the instructions and thought, “That’s it?!” It came together so well, and I’m really happy with it. For reference, I made my regular size (didn’t size down), and the longest version of the pattern with no added length. I knew the long version would probably hit shorter on me than it does on most people, and I was right! I think the length is perfect and exactly what I was going for. The only adjustment I made was to add 1″ of length to the sleeve pieces.

I don’t have much else to say about this make, but I had a lot of fun taking some different photos to go along with the #sewcreativephotos challenge happening on Instagram this month. Hopefully it captures the movement of this pattern + fabric combo.

Happy jacket sewing!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *